When you have a problem with the law, you need the help of a lawyer. Sometimes, you will need to hire a criminal defence lawyer. If you are living in Toronto and you have committed a criminal offence, then you need to get the help and advice of the best criminal lawyer in Toronto. When you are new to dealing with a criminal lawyer, there are a few things you need to know.
Firstly, you need to gauge the intensity of the problem to decide whether you need professional help from someone like a lawyer. Some issues, like a parking ticket, can be solved without a criminal lawyer.
Now, if your problem does require the help of a criminal lawyer and you are looking for the best criminal lawyer in Toronto, then there are a few things you need to consider and keep in mind.
- Make sure you know the accurate details of the lawyer, like the fact that they do practice criminal law. Some lawyers might take up cases without having proper knowledge or skills. When you are choosing a criminal lawyer for your case, make sure he has had experience in criminal law. As the law has become complicated, most lawyers only take up certain areas of law to work with. So ensure that your lawyer knows what he or she is doing.
- Understand the money part of your deal with the lawyer. Is it a one-time fee? Or an hourly fee? What are the services he or she is going to provide? Lawyers are usually very upfront about their “retainer” (fees). Be very clear about the finance part.
- The best criminal lawyer in Toronto should be accessible. Not only should he pick up your calls or respond promptly, but he should also inform you about everything happening related to your case.
- When a case starts, there is no way of finding out how it will end. This is why a lawyer should never make any promises. There is no way of finding what the result will be as the law is unpredictable.
- You need to understand that no lawyer is obliged to take your case. If one does not accept, move on to the next one.
- The reason you chose a lawyer to help you in your case is that he or she is the best criminal lawyer in Toronto. So make sure you listen to him/her and take his/her advice.
- As a lawyer assisting you with your case, you need to give him all the information you have truthfully. Do not filter anything you know related to the problem. Be honest with your lawyer.
- In some cases, you might be hiring or looking for the best criminal lawyer in Toronto for someone else. In such a case, you need to understand that in that situation, you are not a client. You are not entitled to any information that might be confidential, just because you are paying for the lawyer. Such information is solely between the lawyer and the client.
Hopefully, you now know what all to look for while choosing a lawyer for you or for someone you know.